Brainstorming Project 1

Looking at this work by Daniel Friedman, I love the style of messy digital painting. In the same way that I like traditional painting which make good use of the medium and shows all the brush strokes, I like this method of digital painting which leans into the messiness. 
  • Who are you and how does your artistic practice reflect that identity? 
  • How does your presence on social media reflect that identity? 
  • How do your friends reflect that identity? 
  • How do your values reflect that identity?
  • Is there a difference between your internal and external self?
  • How do you present an image that communicates your personality
I like to make artwork spontaneously, going by what feels and looks good to me in the moment. Sometimes I think my drawings end up looking best when I can shut off my brain and just let my hand move across the page. Similarly, I am a rather disorganized person prone to moodiness and impulsivity.
Since my freshman year of high school I have continuously run a "finsta," or an instagram account only followed by my close friends. I used it to post funny pictures and I would film myself performing little skits to make my friends laugh. Now I post mostly memes or interesting pictures. I think my social media presence is rather scattered and and strange, two words I would also apply to myself. 
I am friends with lots of different types of people, although my closest friends are usually similar to me- somewhat quiet but outspoken once you get to know them, focused on school, a dark sense of humor, etc. 
I greatly value my independence: knowing that I do not need other people to do the things I want to do. I value creativity and passion, curiosity, and humor above all.
I would say that internally I am very anxious and constantly worrying what others think of me, although I try not to show it. I've always been an introvert, but in the interest of making friends and making people laugh, I've followed the "fake it 'till you make it" ethos. For that reason, although I think of myself as rather shy and introverted, people sometimes tell me that they see me as outgoing. 
I like to dress in a way that expresses my mood that day, and I like aiming for different "looks" on different days rather than following one style. Much of my clothing is second hand, because I love to find unique things that other people do not have. I have no idea if the image I project actually matches my personality.
this is a prototype for the type of image I would like to make for this project. Truthfully, I don't have a concrete idea yet, but I have a hobby of collecting strange/ interesting pictures so I would like to create some sort of compiled self portrait from sourced images, and maybe incorporate one of my drawings as well.

Comments